As a child, my friends and I dreamed of the days we would eventually turn sixteen and get our license. We said that we would go shopping and have a ton of beach trips in the summer.
Today is the day I embrace being sixteen. My journey of life so far has been full of family, friends, magical summers, heartfelt winters, lessons being learned, adventures, school, and my love for God increasing.
A few of my favorite childhood memories include playing with baby dolls, dressing up in my mom’s clothes, hating sleep, and absolutely being obsessed with dogs. (I always wanted a yellow lab.)
I’ve seen my family receive things we once prayed for.
I’ve realized that it takes being “broken” of our flesh and human craving of love to be made whole and live in the love God has already given to us.
I’ve learned that God uses each and every part of our stories to make us exactly into who He has created us to be.
I want to share 16 things with you that I have learned. These are things I would tell my past or future self.
- God is the only One who will never change.
- Recognize beauty in all the places it shines and hides.
- Life is so short. Therefore, make the most of every opportunity you get.
- You will never regret being set apart. It will not always be easy, but you would much rather stand out than fit in.
- Respect your parents, what they say, and their advice over your life.
- Fashion and outward beauty will fade away. Don’t allow your identity to be found in anyone or anything other than belonging to Jesus and being His child.
- Guard your heart. Trust God to bring your earthly love into your life in His timing. Don’t try to make things happen on your own.
- Your relationship with Jesus is the most important relationship you’ll ever have. Treasure it and invest into it daily.
- Overflow with thankfulness for all God has done and blessed you with.
- Be an overachiever and always do more than what’s expected.
- View others as image bearers of God.
- What you fill yourself up with will be what you overflow with.
- Comparison only makes you forget how blessed you are and the unique story God has given you.
- God wants those who are lost and has already paid the price for them to have eternal life with Him.
- God has purpose in every season you will ever live in.
- Find your gifts and grow in them. Use the things you are passionate about to serve and build God’s kingdom.
I am praying that the 16 things I shared with you will speak to you, encourage you, and remind you to live this life with all you have. Let’s make a difference for eternity today!